cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can We create a Variable in Mapper

Karan_Mhatre
New Contributor II

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to create an incremental addition let say i have 2 columns empl_id and salary so in target i want to derive third column with cumulative salary.

I can do it by using variable, have done it using Different tool but never implemented it in snaplogic

Hence the question can we create Variable in mapper?

any help is appreciated

21 REPLIES 21

tlikarish
Employee
Employee

Can you give more information about where the cumulative salary column will come from? If itโ€™s just a sum of all the salary columns and grouped by the employee id, then you could use the Aggregate snap.

Hereโ€™s an example I put together based on what I thought you were looking to do.

Feel free to download this pipeline and try it out.

Aggregate-Example_2019_07_15.slp (3.9 KB)

Karan_Mhatre
New Contributor II

Hi tlikarish,

Appreciate your reply but that does not solves my query.

Below is the data:-
employee_id,salary
10, 1000
20, 2000
30, 3000
40, 5000

Expected O/p
employee_id,salary,Cumulative salary
10, 1000,1000
20, 2000,3000
30, 3000,6000
40, 5000,11000

Hope now its clear , Also i tried to Google for variable in mapper but there was no comments or article on it.
Can we not create a variable in mapper? because these can be done in different ETL tools using variable.

The aggregate snap has a concat function that should concatenate the values instead of sum them. I think that maybe closer to what youโ€™re trying to achieve.

You could also take a look at the Group By Field snap, but that may be too different from how youโ€™d like to transform the data.

In regards to variable creation, there is nothing like that in the mapper. You can transform document properties using expressions and write them to new properties, but there arenโ€™t any variables you can use.

Karan_Mhatre
New Contributor II

No tlikarish, i dont think concat function will help me.

Anyways there should be a new way ,Only the problem is we have to figure it out ๐Ÿ˜€

Thank you for your help, Appreciate it.