cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating and testing error pipelines

wpenfold
New Contributor III

I’m trying to create an error pipeline. A couple of questions…

• Is it supposed to be called regardless of whether there is an error or not? (It is. Am I doing something wrong? or is this expected behavior) If, so, how should I determine whether there is an error, or not, within the error pipeline?

• Is there any way I can trigger various errors for testing purposes? So I can test that the error pipeline will respond correctly for different problems?

Most of the serious problems we need to recover from involve the temporary inability to connect to various sites to get or put files, and I can’t figure out a way to fake those errors.

12 REPLIES 12

dimche_saveski
New Contributor III

Hello @ wpenfold

1. No, error pipeline is called only when some error occurs. You are doing something wrong.

2. You can mimic that error , trying to connect to that same site with Rest Get snap( while the site is unresponsive). That way the error will be thrown to the error pipeline.

Best Regards
Dimche Saveski

My pipeline is finishing successfully, but the error pipeline is still being called. What could I be doing wrong to make this happen?

I can’t make the vendor sites unresponsive when I want them to be. If sftp-ing a file to a vendor site fails, this is a serious issue I need to be able to handle,
but I have no idea what data will presumably get sent to the error pipeline when that happens, and I am unable to test a solution.

Dear wpenfold

You can see which record caused the error, what was the reason for that error, which snap failed and e.t.c in the error pipeline.
You can check this error handling article, where error handling is explained in great details.

Best Regards
Dimche Saveski

christwr
Contributor III

If you have an error pipeline defined for your base pipeline, then I believe it will always run (and wait for error data) when your base pipeline runs, not only run when there is actually an error. If you have an error path on a snap, then it should only have data passed that way when errors occur.