cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting text file with CSV formatting, but with different numbers of fields

RoyB
New Contributor III

I’m working on a pipeline that needs to create and send a text file to a third party

That text file contains rows formatted in the same was as a csv file
The file contains a header row, then the data rows, then a footer row
The header and footer rows only have 6 columns, and I cannot send it with more or less columns, because their system will reject it
the data rows have 33 columns, and I cannot send it with more or less columns, because their system will reject it

Here is my pipeline:

The first section has 3 SQL Server Execute snaps that get the 3 types of rows, then I union them all together. The select contains 2 fields that cannot be in the resulting text file, and I only need them for the sort snap, to get the rows in the correct order

The mapper after to Sort snap is to remove the 2 sort columns
The problem I get here is, if I leave null safe access unchecked, then it freaks out because Col6 to Col33 does not exist in 2 of the rows, and if I check null safe access, it creates 6 to 33 in those 2 rows and adds to many fields to those 2 rows in the text file

Is there any way to:
A) Remove the 2 fields without using a mapper
B) Remove the resulting null valued fields after the mapper
OR
C) Tell the csv formatter to not create the field if it has a null value

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

RoyB
New Contributor III

I’ve tried changing the mapper to do this instead:

to strip out the 2 fields, and it does do it, but in the resulting text file the header row has only the 6 records I want, but the footer row has 33, presumably taking the additional columns from the preceding data row

RoyB
New Contributor III

I’ve checked the JSON document coming out of the mapper, and the final row only has 6 columns, so its the csv formatter or something after that is adding the extra columns to the last row

koryknick
Employee
Employee

@RoyB - here is one solution. This will work well unless the output file becomes very large since it combines the data to memory for output to the file.
Header_Body_Footer_to_File_2022_03_01.slp (12.4 KB)

RoyB
New Contributor III

Thanks for the try, but it didn’t work.

I modified my pipeline to use your method, and it does the same thing.
The incoming document has a format of:
6 columns
33 columns (multiple rows)
6 columns

And then somewhere between the csv formatter and the File Write it turns into
6 columns
33 columns (multiple Rows)
33 columns