cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to get the file name(s) from a Multi File Reader

mxpeskir
New Contributor

I have a Multi File Reader reading a series of S3 files using a wildcard, and writing the data to Snowflake. There is a Mapper in between. Functionally, everything is working as expected.
Iโ€™d like to get the name of the file in which the data was read, and write it to a Meta_FileName column. How do I retrieve the file name from the Multi File Reader? Iโ€™m sort of assuming itโ€™s an expression to be added in the Mapper but not sure. TIA!

14 REPLIES 14

tstack
Former Employee

Is there a parser snap that is converting the binary documents?

My apologies for lack of detail, yes there is indeed a CSV parser following the multi file reader.

1a43a19606d4f7122ec9e1392662d905c4ea88dc.png

Itโ€™s currently not possible to pass the binary header that contains the file name through the CSVParser. Instead, you can use a DirectoryBrowser snap to get the file names and then kick off child pipelines to read the files and do the SnowflakeUpserts. In that case, youโ€™ll be passing the filename as a pipeline parameter to the child pipeline, so you can use a Mapper to add the parameter into the documents that are going into the Upsert. A side-benefit of this is that you can process multiple files in parallel.

hi tstack,

Is there an inbuilt snaplogic functionality for the same ?