cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read file property (modified date, created date)

David_Wang
New Contributor II

Hi, I’m building a pipeline to load excel file, looks like the file reader snap can read file property (especially last modified date), but I’m not able to find a solution which can let me save the modified date for later process.
If I try to using excel parser snap in next step, it can change binary data to excel stream, but it will also lose file property which belong to the original file. Has anyone encounter same issue and resolve it without using script snap?

Thanks,
David

7 REPLIES 7

tlikarish
Employee
Employee

If I understand the question, you’re looking to retain information about the file’s last-modified date and the file’s contents. If that’s the case, you might look at the Binary To Document snap. I’ve also attached a pipeline that might be useful. Basically it reads the file and then joins the last-modified date as an additional column.

last-modified-example_2018_10_11 (1).slp (12.6 KB)

Hi Tlikarish,

Thanks a lot for your help, this is definitely what I’m looking for, I really appreciate your help and the community.
It’s still a new tool for me, so a lot of thing need to learn.

Thanks,
David

Hi Tlikarish,

Just one more question, since snaplogic is case sensitive, when I loading the excel file, it will fail due to excel header using mixed upper and lower case, but actually column name in my destination is full upper case. Mapper can definitely fix it, but if I’m trying to make the pipeline dynamic, and reusable, I will need some method can read the excel header row and upper case the whole header dynamically. If there is not possible being done by regular snap, I will try script. Thanks again.

Thanks,
David

Mapper can definitely fix it, but if I’m trying to make the pipeline dynamic, and reusable, I will need some method can read the excel header row and upper case the whole header dynamically.

You can use an expression in the mapper like

$.mapKeys((value, key) => key.toUpperCase())

That should work for any header you want. Here’s more information on the mapKeys function.

EDIT: In the mapper you’ll want to set the Target Path for that expression to $. Here’s the configuration I used in my test.