cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading Null values into Snowflake DB via Bulk Load Snap

amubeen
New Contributor II

Hey All,

So I’m trying to load certain columns from a csv file into snowflake, but facing some issues.

I have the file, properly parsed it via the csv parser, and I’ve also used a mapper to map the columns properly. However, I need snaplogic to be able to do tell snowflake, if the entry in this row says “(null)” or “(None)” to treat it as a NULL insert in the bulk load.

Is there a way to do this?

For example, say I have a snowflake DB with column that accepts only 1 char, a Y or N. The row from the dataset has a “(null)” as the entry for that column, which is causing an issue since it is > 1 char. Is there a way for snaplogic to understand “(null)” means NULL and insert a NULL into snowflake via the bulk load snap?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

skatpally
Former Employee

Just curious If you have checked this option Load empty strings on the Snowflake Bulk load Snap.

smanoharan
Employee
Employee

@amubeen There are two ways that you can handle this use case

1. Leave the fields you want to loaded as null as Empty in the csv file and un-select the property, “Load empty strings” in Snowflake Bulk Load. This will make sure Snowflake Bulk Load will load the empty values as null in the table
    empty_value_in_csv

2.The null values coming from a csv parser will be a string. A condition in the mapper to convert the null String values to null will work:
$NULLABLECHAR == “null” ? null : $NULLABLECHAR

mapper_handle_null

cc: @robin

@amubeen Were you able to resolve your issue with the above information ?

igormicev
Contributor

Hi @amubeen,

You’d better use multiple checks when it comes to nulls from csv file. It can be an empty string, or NULL or null or Null or (null), , etc.

One way is this:
($NULLABLECHAR == ““ || $NULLABLECHAR.toLowerCase().indexOf(‘null’) > -1) ? null : $NULLABLECHAR

However, settings can help you also, but if you fully trust the csv incoming data (e.g. always having null, but not (null) which is different)

/Igor