cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mappping element of a Subarray of a JSON document in mapper snap

MarotReply
New Contributor II

Hello, I have an issue with splitting a JSON document in a mapper.
In short, this document is received via a REST Get Snap and certain elements of it should be mapped to certain names, think for example:

Received JSON:
{
“Property1”:“value1”,
“Property2”:“value2”,
“Property3”:“value3”,
“Subarray”:[
{
“SubProperty1”:“subValue1”,
“SubProperty2”:“SubValue2”,
“SubProperty3”:“SubValue3”
},
{
“SubProperty1”:“subValue4”,
“SubProperty2”:“SubValue5”,
“SubProperty3”:“SubValue6”
}
]
}

And the produced JSON should look something like this:

{
“Prop1”:“value1”,
“Prop2”:“value2”,
“MyArray”:[
{
“SubProp1”:“subValue1”,
“SubProp2”:“SubValue2”,
},
{
“SubProp1”:“subValue4”,
“SubProp2”:“SubValue5”,
}
]
}

In and of itself, this should be a simple task, we have only to map some input values to some output values. However when mapping the values in the subarray like so:

$ SubProperty1 → $Prop1
$ SubProperty2 ->$Prop2
jsonPath($, "$SubArray[].SubProperty1") → $MyArray[].SubProp1

instead of producing the second JSON as required it produces something like this:
{
“Prop1”:“value1”,
“Prop2”:“value2”,
“MyArray”:[
{
“SubProp1”:[
“subValue1”,
“subValue4”
],
“SubProp2”:[
“SubValue2”,
“SubValue5”
]
}
]
}

So it seems that instead of splitting the values of the elements in SubArray between the elements in MyArray, it sees the array of the elements as one unit and therefore populates only the first element in MyArray with a vector containing the elements of SubArray.

I’ve been trying various things but I can’t seem to solve this, any help would be appreciated.
Note that since the data comes from a Rest Call, snaplogic doesn’t know until execution what the data should look like.

I hope that was clear, the problem itself is rather simple but the explanation is somehow a little complicated.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

you can use the match operator to match the each doc in the array and map it to whatever you’d like

so using this expression:

$Subarray.map(entry => match entry { {SubProperty1, SubProperty2} => {"SubProp1": SubProperty1, "SubProp2": SubProperty2}, _ => []})

mapped to MyArray should give you the desired output for the nested array portion. The rest seems to just be direct mappings from source Property1 to target Prop1, Property2 to target Prop2 while setting pass through to off.

One thing to note, the ‘_’ is used as a default incase there is a document that does not match any of the arms in the match. So, if there is a doc that does not have these fields it would default to an empty array, which you can change.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ptaylor
Employee
Employee

Try two Mappers, one to map the fields of the root object, then another with Mapping Root set to the array. That will let you map the elements of that array, and pass through the root object from the first Mappers.

MarotReply
New Contributor II

I’ve tried that but it causes the same issue as with one mapper.
The elements of the subarray still get combined instead of being mapped to separate arrays.

The issue is really that the subarray is an array of arrays, which I’d like to reproduce. Instead the mapper produces elements, each of wich contains an array of all of one type of subvalue from the different subarrays in the input.

Sorry I just noticed that the formating in the JSON didn’t survive copying which doesn’t help make that obvious.

Yes, I’m not seeing any nested arrays in the JSON input or output you posted, except for the one where you’re saying that this isn’t what you want. Try posting the input and desired output with the Preformatted Text feature in the editor (icon looks like </>). That will also prevent the double quotes from getting inserted as left/right versions like in English text, which is invalid JSON.

[
    {"name": "value"},
    {"name", "value"}
]

Did you still need help with this?