cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Task Execute Being Phased Out

mckinnbk
New Contributor

I have a master pipeline that runs whenever a payroll is complete. This pipeline will kick off 10 integrations that send files to various vendors. I currently have the pipeline configured to use Pipeline Execute to run all of these in parallel. However, the way that we use a shared error handler, I am concerned that if a single pipeline for a given vendor hits an error (like canโ€™t deliver a file to the vendor) that it will cause all the other pipelines to fail.

I was considering changing these to Task Execute so that each Vendor specific pipeline could run as itโ€™s own process. Also, allowing a single process to be run on itโ€™s own if needed. However, I noticed in the documentation that Task Execute is being phase out. Is this Snap still being phase out? If so, is there another solution that I should be looking at?

2 REPLIES 2

tstack
Former Employee

Can you elaborate on the structure of pipelines. Is the shared error handler being run in the child executions started by the Pipeline Execute?

If you open the error view of the Pipeline Execute, any failures in the child executions will not cause the other children to be stopped. If a child execution does fail, an error document will be written out of the Pipeline Executes error view.

Task Execute was added as a way to plumb data from a parent pipeline to a child pipeline. Since Pipeline Execution supports that natively, there is no need for Task Execute. There are quite a few downsides to using Task Execute compared to Pipeline Execute, for example, child executions are not linked to their parent in the dashboard making it difficult to figure out the flow of things.

mckinnbk
New Contributor

Our current setup is that the Error Pipeline is setup on the โ€œMaster Pipelineโ€ and also on the child pipelines. So, based on your feedback, I believe we can just change the error view for each Pipeline Execute to not be mapped to the Error Pipeline for the โ€œMaster Pipelineโ€ and that will take care of my concern of a failure in one of the child pipeline causing other child pipelines to be stopped.