cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to put local file on GroundPlex on location in shared Windows directory

vcocco
New Contributor II

I have a location on our file server: share1.berklee.edu. For illustration purposes we’ll name the path as follows:

share1.berklee.edu\PR_Shared\Test eft

I’m trying to drop a file from the local GroundPlex to the location

My understanding is that within the File Writer snap I have to use the SMB command.

So, in the File Writer snap under ‘File name’ I have the following:

‘smb:\share1.berklee.edu\PR_Shared\Test eft\DNU_test.txt’

The pipeline validates and seems to run without error. However, the DNU_test.txt file is not showing up in the location in the shared drive.

I was getting permissions error earlier but we’ve created the proper account that’s setup in the Account tab of the File Writer.

Am I using the correct syntax for the smb command? Should it be something else, like ‘file:’? I’ve tried that, pipeline validates, but file is still not being sent over.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Vin

3 REPLIES 3

dmiller
Admin Admin
Admin

I believe you need to start it with smb:\\

[edited to make it two visible backslashes as apparently the first one is an escape]

Diane Miller
Community Manager

mwayman
New Contributor II

Hi vcocco,

Your slashes are the wrong way, and you need two / after “smb:”, like so if the expression button (“=”) is pressed:

‘smb://server/share/folder/filename.ext’

Here’s a bonus hint: if you are piping the file name in to the File Writer snap from a Directory Browser–>File Reader combo, you can capture that name with a line like this in the expression:

‘smb://server/share/folder/’ + $[‘content-location’].match(“[^/]+$”).toString()

This uses a regular expression to pull the name from the ‘hidden’ variables that pass through some pipelines, and converts it to a string. You can look for them after any snap by adding a Mapper and then holding Shift while you click Validate (this forces a refresh of the cached validation data) - the left side of the Mapper should show you any additional values for your use.

Mark W.

vcocco
New Contributor II

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your response.
So, the syntax has been modified - the slashes are now facing the correct way. Here’s what I have:

“smb://share1.campus.edu/PR_Shared/2019 TEST/TESTFOLDER eft”

Still getting this error:
Failure: Failed to write to smb://share1.campus.edu/PR_Shared/2019 TEST/TESTFOLDER eft, Reason: Possible reasons can be failure in URL connection or file access denial, detail: Access is denied., Resolution: Check for URL syntax and file access permission

We do have an account in our GroundPlex that’s setup to access a shared SMB drive. I’m wondering if it’s just a permissions problem at this point?
Thanks again,
Vin