cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using variable for file naming only and not in xml payload?

acesario
Contributor II

I’m formatting and writing an xml file, and would like to name the file based on a field value from the original file, but cannot be part of the xml. Is it possible to somehow bring a variable ($VAR) from a prior step in to the File Writer without including it in the preceeding XML?

‘response-s-’$VAR’+‘-.xml’

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Supratim
Contributor III

@acesario You can segregate xml format and file writer in different pipeline, then call this child pipeline using Pipeline execute and pass input param(the filename you want ) from your parent pipeline. Even if you use xsd inside xml format, you can found the xsd structure from the mapper(Map to xml) of your parent pipeline.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Supratim
Contributor III

@acesario You can segregate xml format and file writer in different pipeline, then call this child pipeline using Pipeline execute and pass input param(the filename you want ) from your parent pipeline. Even if you use xsd inside xml format, you can found the xsd structure from the mapper(Map to xml) of your parent pipeline.

@Supratim Thanks for the quick response! I actually had tried using a separate pipeline, and was able to pass the parm as you suggest, however my xml output would be one row, rather than the aggregated rows. So, a. I was doing this before the map to xml. I could try it after that.
Or better yet, b. Is there a way to have sub pipeline produce the aggregated rows, just like the parent does?

What I mean is, Parent produces xml:
<#root>
<#row1>
<#row2>
<#row3>
<#/root

Child (sub) currently produces
file1…
<#root>
<#row>
<#/root>
file 2…
<#root>
<#row>
<#/root>
file 3…
<#root>
<#row>
<#/root>

Actually you pass each row from pipeline execution snap, Move mapper to child pipeline , it should work.
Unless the upstream snap of mapper produce multiple output of row.

acesario
Contributor II

Yes, the upstream snap produces multiple rows.