cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to pass values to a child snap

ADORAISWAMY
New Contributor II

I am a newbie to Snaplogic. I am developing a pipeline to copy data from Oracle tables to Snowflake using Snaplogic. I have created a parent pipeline and used “Pipeline Execute” to pass values to the child pipeline. I am having trouble understanding the concept of parameters, fields, $, _, _$. Everything is confusing me to the World’s end. I wish there was proper documentation for that.

The parent pipeline works perfectly and it displays data as expected. But I don’t know how to pass those values to the child pipeline. I have attached the pipelines here.

Please help me understand how the whole parameter concept works in Snaplogic.
Parent_2021_06_17.slp (6.6 KB)
Child_2021_06_17.slp (29.7 KB)

9 REPLIES 9

Unfortunately, no. When you preview the parent, you can only see the preview output of the snaps in the parent. There’s no way to see the preview output of the snaps that executed in the child during the preview of the parent. The preview output that you’re seeing in the child pipeline is left from when you last previewed just the child pipeline by itself.

ADORAISWAMY
New Contributor II

Taylor,
Thank you. I am bit more clearer and closer to the fix now. I enabled all the snaps and all but validated one. Please see attached. I tried with and without toggling the “=” button but neither works.
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 1.44.40 PM

Those expression buttons are toggled off. You definitely need them on. What’s the error when they are on?

ADORAISWAMY
New Contributor II

Peter,
I removed the “mapper” snap from the child pipeline and mysteriously it worked. I always had issues with Mapper snap. I did a successful validation and execution. Data got loaded successfully from Oracle to Snowflake.

Thanks very much for your help. Cheers!

Also, I have a suggestion to make: more and more people are using Dark theme in browser as I do. Snaplogic isn’t compatible with dark theme. I was able to understand and see the difference of toggling the “=” buttons better in normal light mode. Dark mode makes it harder to toggle.

HTH.