cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Queries in merging two tables

Harsha3
New Contributor III

Good Day,

We need to perform a simple activity where I used outer join and merge . The purpose of merge is to actually unite both the tables to proceed further . Since the entries present in the result table are not in source table , there are null entries which are expected . I would like to replace all the null values with the values of the present in the source table . I provide screenshot for better clarity.

Table 1: ( Source table )

Table 2: ( After performing join)

Merged result (Merging Table 1 and Table 2 ๐Ÿ˜ž

Expected Output:

image --Wanted all the null values exactly to be replaced with the value present in the first row . Is there any way to do the same.

Thanks,
Harshaavrdhana

4 REPLIES 4

SpiroTaleski
Valued Contributor

@Harsha3

Probably you can try with Outer join, putting โ€˜1โ€™ for Left and Right Path.

Regards,
Spiro Taleski

Donโ€™t use Outer when doing a 1=1 join. Always use Inner. The result will be the same, by definition, but the performance, both memory-wise and time-wise, will be better with Inner. This advice is based on the details of the implementation of each of these joins.

Harsha3
New Contributor III

Hi Ptylor,

Thanks for the details it actually worked !.

Thanks Taleski for the updates.

ptaylor
Employee
Employee

A Join with join type Merge doesnโ€™t do a true join โ€“ it just merges documents from each input stream as your results show. But Iโ€™m confused by your example. Your Table 2 says โ€œafter performing joinโ€. What does the data look like before performing the join that produced Table 2? Is there a value corresponding to User_Id from Table 1 that you could use for a true join? Iโ€™m guessing that a 1=1 is not what you really need โ€“ it will produce a full cross-product of both input streams. If you decide to use 1=1, set the join type to Inner, and arrange the Join so that the input with more documents (table 2) is the first input, and the input with a single document (table 1) is the second input.