cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Catching invalid DB account issues

kmiesse
Contributor

I would like to trap and route errors where the host name or database name on a SQL Server account is not valid and therefore an error is thrown when trying to use the account in a SQL Server Select snap. I have the pipeline with the Select in it set to use an error pipeline but do not want this account error to be handled by the error pipeline. I want to log it separately elsewhere. I set the Select snap to route error data to error view but this error is fatal so it doesnโ€™t get routed. However, if it were set the Select snap to route to error pipeline it wouldnโ€™t be fatal and would be handled by the error pipeline. Is there away to route the invalid account error on the Select snap? I realize I could create a separate child pipeline for the other snaps (Child Pipeline 1 and Child Pipeline 2) in the pipeline so they still have the normal error pipeline and set this pipeline to use a different pipeline to log separately but didnโ€™t want to create a whole other level and pipeline for this. image

1 REPLY 1

stephenknilans
Contributor

It WOULD be nice if they had this functionality, but it seems many ETL tools donโ€™t. One thing you can do is have a simple process start THIS process, using a pipeline execute, and trap the error THERE. That is what I am doing for a similar problem in snaplogic. Also, donโ€™t forget to add exit to THIS pipeline as well as the one I am talking about, so an error triggers a failure. That way if even the last pipeline fails on the lowest level, the upper level will show an error, so you can handle it all the conventional ways.

Steve