cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does the CSV formatter snap aggregate the input documents

walkerline117
Contributor

Hi.

If we have 5 input documents for a CSV formatter snap, how many output documents I will get from the CSV formatter?

My observation now is that CSV formatter snap will group all input documents into one and output only one big CSV file.

Is there a way to change the behavior of this? In my example, if I have 5 input documents, how to config so CSV formatter snap can output 5 output documents/files?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Since the CSV Formatter currently doesnโ€™t work with arrays, you will need to use a child pipeline that splits the array into separate docs that go into a CSV Formatter.

Iโ€™m attaching a couple of pipelines to demonstrate this flow:

FormatArrayToCSV_2019_02_28.slp (5.6 KB)
WriteCSVFiles_2019_02_28.slp (5.4 KB)

The FormatArrayToCSV pipeline is the child. It splits the โ€œ$arrayโ€ property in the incoming document and then passes the results to a CSV Formatter and FileWriter. Youโ€™ll need to change the JSON Splitter to split your array property.

The WriteCSVFiles pipeline is the parent. It just contains some mock data and feeds it into the child pipeline.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

walkerline117
Contributor

So normally, for snaps like file writer snap: it is one in one out: one document in, then one file out.

Why the CSV formatter snap does multiple documents in, only one document output out?

tstack
Former Employee

Yes, pretty much all formatter snaps tend to collect all of their input and write a single binary output file.

Sorry, thatโ€™s not directly supported at the moment. To write a CSV file with a single row in it, you could create a child pipeline with the CSV Formatter and FileWriter and execute it with PipeExec.

The most common case for a CSV file (and JSON/XML/etcโ€ฆ) would be for it to have multiple rows/records. So, the formatter snaps write all their inputs to a single file. Some formatters (like JSON/XML) support writing a single output document, since those formats are more likely to have cases where that is needed.

Even with Pipeline execute snap, i tried and it seems we cannot leverage the pass through of the pipeline execute. So i have to put everything in the pipeline parameters and pass them to the sub-pipeline.

To me, this snap behaves strange, especially as you see its very different than any other formatter snap of files related snap.

My thought is that if user wants to format a big CSV file with multiple rows, then like other formatter or file snap related snaps, they should construct a big documents that contains multiple rows.

Hmm, can you share some of the pipelines/documents that youโ€™re working with and what is the final result youโ€™re trying to get?

Iโ€™m sorry, I donโ€™t understand why you think that. The default configuration for all formatters is to write all input documents to a single binary output. Iโ€™m attaching a pipeline that demonstrates as much:

FormatterDemo_2019_02_27.slp (12.1 KB)

I feel like Iโ€™m missing something here or thereโ€™s some terminology mixup that we need to clear up.

By โ€œbig documents that contains multiple rowsโ€, do you mean a document with an array of values where each element in the array would be a row in the output?