cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm completely stuck trying to write JSON to CSV - it's been 4 days. Can anyone help?

fatsnowball
New Contributor II

I’m brand new to Snaplogic and this is probably really easy - sorry in advance! But I’ve been stuck on this since Thursday, and it’s now Tuesday… please help me.

As a whole, I have this:

In more detail:

I have a JSON splitter, which has an output of the JSON I want to write to a CSV. And, if I preview the output in table view, it looks exactly like the CSV I want (I had an image here, but new users can only put one - sorry!). Previewing in JSON shows that it’s, well, JSON.

After that, I have a CSV formatter, but I don’t have anything configured in it. Should I? The output view for this is more or less empty, so this clearly isn’t correct. I’ve tried JSON formatters and a million other things here. I just don’t know.

Then I have my file writer (and as a bonus, I want only some of the fields from the JSON to be written to the CSV file).

I can do it in Python:

# Call the API
r = requests.get(url_to_call, headers = headers)
json_to_write = r.json()

# Open a file for writing
outfile = open(file_name,'w')
writer=csv.writer(outfile)

# Write CSV Header Row
writer.writerow(["Id", "FirstName", "LastName"])

# Loop through each line of the JSON; print key values needed
for x in json_to_write:
    writer.writerow([x["Id"],
                x["FirstName"],
                x["LastName"]])

I found this post on turning JSON to CSV by @dmiller and this post on writing a Twitter Query to a file, but as far as I can tell, those are just “use these snaps” without showing how the snaps are configured, and I’ve tried those configurations of snaps.

I’m so lost. Any help appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

tstack
Former Employee

Hmm, can you reply to your own message with the screenshot of the preview to workaround?

(We might want to look into removing this restriction)

Can you download the pipeline (see here) and attach it here so we can take a look at the configuration?

The default configuration of the CSV formatter should probably just work.

fatsnowball
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply!

That’s a good idea. I hit the one image limit again, so I put it all together in one image.

json%20splitter

(Note that I’m only pulling Id, FirstName, LastName, and Username from the JSON - it has a lot in it).

I’ll look at that doc on downloading the pipeline and get back to you in another reply. I have to scrub it of all the private info first).

Looking into the image restriction now @tstack

Bumped it up to 5 for now.

Diane Miller
Community Manager

fatsnowball
New Contributor II

Okay - theoretically it’s attached.ISS Example_2018_09_25(1).slp (6.5 KB)

(I changed the API to a test API, but it has the same structure as my data, so if we can get this working, my data should also work). Thank you!