cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Versions and Deploying Pipelines

jcross
New Contributor

Is there a best practice document or can someone provide an example of how you’re managing pipelines from development, through a test/QA phase and into Production?

We have two orgs crated, one for dev/qa and one solely for production. I’m interested to know how people are managing their pipeline development projects and migrating them to an environment in which to do QA testing before deployment to production.

How are you managing the pipelines, files, etc. between Dev and QA?

I’m also interested in if anyone is using GitLab to store ‘code’ outside of SnapLogic.

6 REPLIES 6

petar_rajchinos
New Contributor III

Hi Jim,

Recently, I was working on a project with two orgs, similar to your project, one for DEV/QA and one for production. I don’t think that there is some best practice document but I can share my experience and I hope you will find it helpful.

On the DEV/QA environment, we had one project used for development and one for QA (you can add some suffix in the QA project name, for example, “.QA” to make a distinction between the two projects). We were migrating pipelines, files, accounts… from DEV to QA using the Project Migration API. Here is the link of the API documentation, let me know if you have any questions, you can also use this for migrating projects to production: https://docs-snaplogic.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SD/pages/1982373/Project+Migration+API

Here is one of our articles for code versioning outside SnapLogic: https://interworks.com.mk/how-to-version-your-snaplogic-code-to-git/

Regards,
Petar

Thanks Petar, I was looking for someone’s experience more than a how-to so this is perfect. I’ll have a look through the info you linked.
Appreciate the feedback.

Jim

abew
New Contributor II

That’s great. We don’t use GitHub, but use another git based platform. Is the only thing we can do is writing pipeline/scripts against the Management API? Do you do anything creative for Diff/History checking?

Designer has a compare pipeline function that will show you the differences between two pipes.

If you expand the toolbar, there is an icon49%20AM

if you are on the tab for one of the pipes you want to compare and click the compare icon, you will see a dialog that allows you to choose the target project and pipe.

it will open a new tab with a small context menu under the tab. You can display the source and target pipes, and show the snaps that are the identical, similar and different between the two pipes.

If you are viewing similar snaps and open an infobox, you will see a two column display and the changed attributes are highlighted