cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reuse auth token from account in a suggestion property

j_angelevski
Contributor III

Hi,

I’m developing a custom snap with basic auth ( user/pass ) account.
The snap includes several suggestion properties that need to use the access token from the account in order to display relevant values received through an API call.

I can connect and authorize the account through the account.connect() method, but this will generate new access token each time I click on the suggestion property ( and it will do the same for each suggestion property ).

Is there a way to save the access token from the account and reuse it on each suggestion property instead of generating new access token constantly ?

I am really not sure how to achieve this in the defineProperties() method, if it is possible at all ?

I also have the ValidatableAccount interface implemented on the account, which in return successfully connects to the API ( through the user/pass combination ), I was also wondering if it is possible to reuse the same token when the validate button is clicked ?

Connect() method code

@Override
    public String connect() throws ExecutionException {
        try {
            // Will return the access token - meaning the user is authenticated
            return authUser(param1, param2);
        } catch (Exception e) {
            // Will throw an error message if the authUser() throws an exception
            throw new ExecutionException(e.getMessage());
        }
    }

What I have within the defineProperties method

// propertyBuilder
.withSuggestions(new Suggestions() {

@Override
                public void suggest(SuggestionBuilder suggestionBuilder, PropertyValues propertyValues) {
                   String accessToken = myAccount.connect(); // will return the access token

// return String[] with values based on the parameters
                   suggestionBuilder.node("MYNODE").suggestions(callAPIEndpoint(accessToken, parameeters));
                }
            })

What I want to achieve:

// propertyBulder
.withSuggestions(new Suggestions() {

@Override
                public void suggest(SuggestionBuilder suggestionBuilder, PropertyValues propertyValues) {
                   // do not generate a new access token, instead use the one  that was already generated

// return String[] with values based on the parameters
                   suggestionBuilder.node("MYNODE").suggestions(callAPIEndpoint(accessToken, parameeters));
                }
            })

My issue here is ( even though this approach works ) that I am generating access tokens constantly on each click on the suggestion property which is really not something I like to do.

@ptaylor Apologies for tagging you but I would appreciate your advice on this one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ptaylor
Employee
Employee

That’s tricky. You might want to try using a static cache in the connect method that maps the user key to a token value. The connect method would return the cached token if there is one. If it fails, you’d need a way to invalid that cache entry and then obtain a new one to retry with.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ptaylor
Employee
Employee

That’s tricky. You might want to try using a static cache in the connect method that maps the user key to a token value. The connect method would return the cached token if there is one. If it fails, you’d need a way to invalid that cache entry and then obtain a new one to retry with.

Thank you so much @ptaylor .
This was the solution I was looking for.