cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too much time executing a pipeline

darshthakkar
Valued Contributor

Hi Team,

The pipeline is taking too much time to execute, isn’t that strange when it takes around 40+ minutes on a single file reader snap? Snaps below for reference:

CC: @dmiller @ptaylor @siwadon @koryknick

15 REPLIES 15

darshthakkar
Valued Contributor

Pipeline execution completed after ~1.5hrs, screenshots below:

What would be the reason behind such a delay?

Regards,
Darsh

koryknick
Employee
Employee

@darshthakkar - Bring up the Pipeline Execution Statistics and stay on the Snap Statistics tab. Find the snap(s) that have the longest blue bar indicating a snap that is executing most of the time. This is usually the step that is taking the longest to complete. See the image below as an example; note the two snaps where the bar is almost completely blue (File Writer and Account Read) as opposed to the other two where there is almost no total execution time (Mapper-Adding…) and all green indicating that it’s waiting on input (Union):
You can also hover over the Duration (colored) bar to get the details of how much time is spent in the snap for Input, Execution, and Output.

@koryknick: Thank you for your response.
Is there a way I can go back to the snap statistics if I have run the same pipeline a couple of times after the execution I’m wanting to investigate? I would want to understand which snaps took the highest of time as you have suggested.

As you can see from the screenshot below that even though the docs processed are low (i.e. 7392) it really took a lot of time:

I was passing the output of file reader into a snowflake execute: this might have taken a lot of time and after it took ~1.5hrs, I decided to change my design to incorporate Inner Join (wasn’t planning to use this as there is no output preview when I use Inner join even for 2000 documents selected in the output preview settings) and then this was quick, first iteration to 13m and eventually 18/19 secs (I trimmed the records to 50 thus the low time)

koryknick
Employee
Employee

Yes - right there in Dashboard if you click on the “Completed” under the Status column, it will bring up the statistics for that execution.