cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you use the global shared folder for?

wcl3y2
New Contributor III

Hello,

We are relatively new and trying to figure out our approach for structuring project spaces and projects. One question that came up is what to do with the global shared folder. Is it generally acceptable to put generic pipelines, accounts, schemas, etc. in it?

For instance, say I created a pipeline that will get AR invoices from our ERP. The thought is that multiple systems could use that across business domains. Is it acceptable to put that in the global shared folder or should we have it in the shared folder under the Accounts Receivable project space? The same question goes for accounts and files. It seems like it would definitely be a great place for generic expression library files.

Thank you in advance.

Will

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jcampion
New Contributor III

Hi Will,
We donโ€™t use the shared folder because anyone can modify anything in it. We have a separate project space called โ€œcommonโ€ with a subfolder called โ€œruntimeโ€ and give everyone read/execute rights to that folder.
It is easier to use the shared folder because you can select from it when using the dropdown, rather than specifying โ€œโ€ฆ/โ€ฆ/common/runtime/GetInvoicesโ€ by hand. FYI - thereโ€™s currently a bug if you have your user setting to โ€œnew formโ€ when using a pipeline execute snap to reference a pipeline in another project where it wonโ€™t display the path. If you change your user preferences to shut that off, the path will appear.

Shared folders are good for snaplexes. I wouldnโ€™t put pipelines in there if you have novice users because anybody can make changes to any pipeline, and the pipeline will be permanently updated for everyone.

I wish they would allow a read-only access to shared folders.
Hope this helps!

• Judy

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jcampion
New Contributor III

Hi Will,
We donโ€™t use the shared folder because anyone can modify anything in it. We have a separate project space called โ€œcommonโ€ with a subfolder called โ€œruntimeโ€ and give everyone read/execute rights to that folder.
It is easier to use the shared folder because you can select from it when using the dropdown, rather than specifying โ€œโ€ฆ/โ€ฆ/common/runtime/GetInvoicesโ€ by hand. FYI - thereโ€™s currently a bug if you have your user setting to โ€œnew formโ€ when using a pipeline execute snap to reference a pipeline in another project where it wonโ€™t display the path. If you change your user preferences to shut that off, the path will appear.

Shared folders are good for snaplexes. I wouldnโ€™t put pipelines in there if you have novice users because anybody can make changes to any pipeline, and the pipeline will be permanently updated for everyone.

I wish they would allow a read-only access to shared folders.
Hope this helps!

• Judy

wcl3y2
New Contributor III

This is very helpful. Thank you for the insight!