cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counting Instances in Array Object and Removing Duplicates

alex_panganiban
Contributor

As I process an array, I want to see if I have any duplicate names in the array that I am processing. If I encounter a duplicate name, I only want to keep the one where the series contains “Trekker.” How can I do this?

For example, given the shows array below. My goal is to remove the first instance of Spock and keep the instance that contains the word, Trekker.

shows: [
{ name: ‘James T. Kirk’, series: ‘Star Trek’ },
{ name: ‘Spock’, series: ‘Star Trek’, ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation’ },
{ name: ‘Jean-Luc Picard’, series: ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation’ },
{ name: ‘Worf’, series: ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation’ },
{ name: ‘Spock’, series: ‘Star Trek’, ‘Star Trekker’ }
]

I’ve been able to get rid of duplicate names using the following filter method, however, due to the positioning index, it always gets rid of the one I want to keep.

$shows.filter((show, pos, a) => a.findIndex(item => item.name == a[pos].name) == pos)

In this example, I got all 5 instances of the array back.

$shows.filter((show, pos, a) => a.findIndex(item => item.name == a[pos].name) != pos
&& a[pos].series.contains(“Trekker”)
|| a.findIndex(item => item.name == a[pos].name) == pos)

I thought if I could get the count of the current name, then I could leverage the count value to incorporate in the filters above, however, I can’t figure out how to do that.

$shows.filter(show => show.name == “Spock”).length

$shows.filter((show, pos, a) => a.findIndex(item => item.name == a[pos].name) != pos
&& a[pos].series.contains(“Trekker”)
|| a.findIndex(item => item.name == a[pos].name) == pos && COUNT == 1)

I also tried using the array.prototype.findLastIndex, but either SnapLogic didn’t like it or maybe it’s a Java/Javascript version issue.

Please help. My Javascript skills, especially when using callbacks, sucks. And thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Supratim
Contributor III

@alex.panganiban.guild use attached pipeline.
removeDuplicateEntry_2022_07_25.slp (5.3 KB)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Supratim
Contributor III

@alex.panganiban.guild use attached pipeline.
removeDuplicateEntry_2022_07_25.slp (5.3 KB)

OMGosh, Supratim, this is an amazing solution! Thank you so much! The nested callbacks and using the merge function was BRILLIANT! I would never have been able to come up with this on my own. I really learned something special from you. People like you make this Community page so great! Thanks again!

By the way, do you know anything about not being to use the findLastIndex() function?

@alex.panganiban.guild Thanks a lot for your appreciation. To be frank I didn’t explore much on fundLastIndex() function in array/