cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating and testing error pipelines

wpenfold
New Contributor III

I’m trying to create an error pipeline. A couple of questions…

• Is it supposed to be called regardless of whether there is an error or not? (It is. Am I doing something wrong? or is this expected behavior) If, so, how should I determine whether there is an error, or not, within the error pipeline?

• Is there any way I can trigger various errors for testing purposes? So I can test that the error pipeline will respond correctly for different problems?

Most of the serious problems we need to recover from involve the temporary inability to connect to various sites to get or put files, and I can’t figure out a way to fake those errors.

12 REPLIES 12

christwr
Contributor III

An “error pipeline” might not be right for you if you want specific processing for various types of errors that various snaps can give. In my opinion this would be for more generic error handling, and there are usually pretty standard fields ($error, $reason, $error_entity) that you can throw to logs or whatever for troubleshooting.

For specific error handling on different snaps within your pipeline, you might want to put the error processing on the snap’s error path itself. For example, “pull the pug” (can’t connect) type errors, you should be able to test your sad/error paths by trying to hit something else (bad url, etc.) rather than asking your vendor to kill their site… I’m sure you can figure out how to test your code without the participation of your partners.

wpenfold
New Contributor III

Well, good point. Currently I don’t have that option—accounts are set up by the snaplogic administrator and firewalls by security team, but I guess I could see if they’ll set up a fake one for testing

dmiller
Admin Admin
Admin

There currently is not one central table of errors. Some you might see are common HTTP responses, others may be coming in from the applications that you are integrating, etc. I have forwarded this to our Doc team for messages specific to our platform.

Diane Miller
Community Manager