cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exporting text file with CSV formatting, but with different numbers of fields

RoyB
New Contributor III

Iโ€™m working on a pipeline that needs to create and send a text file to a third party

That text file contains rows formatted in the same was as a csv file
The file contains a header row, then the data rows, then a footer row
The header and footer rows only have 6 columns, and I cannot send it with more or less columns, because their system will reject it
the data rows have 33 columns, and I cannot send it with more or less columns, because their system will reject it

Here is my pipeline:

The first section has 3 SQL Server Execute snaps that get the 3 types of rows, then I union them all together. The select contains 2 fields that cannot be in the resulting text file, and I only need them for the sort snap, to get the rows in the correct order

The mapper after to Sort snap is to remove the 2 sort columns
The problem I get here is, if I leave null safe access unchecked, then it freaks out because Col6 to Col33 does not exist in 2 of the rows, and if I check null safe access, it creates 6 to 33 in those 2 rows and adds to many fields to those 2 rows in the text file

Is there any way to:
A) Remove the 2 fields without using a mapper
B) Remove the resulting null valued fields after the mapper
OR
C) Tell the csv formatter to not create the field if it has a null value

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

RoyB
New Contributor III

Iโ€™ve tried changing the mapper to do this instead:

to strip out the 2 fields, and it does do it, but in the resulting text file the header row has only the 6 records I want, but the footer row has 33, presumably taking the additional columns from the preceding data row

RoyB
New Contributor III

Iโ€™ve checked the JSON document coming out of the mapper, and the final row only has 6 columns, so its the csv formatter or something after that is adding the extra columns to the last row

koryknick
Employee
Employee

@RoyB - here is one solution. This will work well unless the output file becomes very large since it combines the data to memory for output to the file.
Header_Body_Footer_to_File_2022_03_01.slp (12.4 KB)

RoyB
New Contributor III

Thanks for the try, but it didnโ€™t work.

I modified my pipeline to use your method, and it does the same thing.
The incoming document has a format of:
6 columns
33 columns (multiple rows)
6 columns

And then somewhere between the csv formatter and the File Write it turns into
6 columns
33 columns (multiple Rows)
33 columns