cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I extract data from an API, using a post request, with the HTTP Client snap?

terrible_towel
New Contributor II

Hi,

The API owner demands I use a post request first, then get authorized by getting a user token and a cookie token, and only then I can do a get request to retrieve the data. I was able to configure the first part properly, in the screenshot below:

terrible_towel_0-1704214044214.png

This retrieves a header with a token for the user, and the cookie. My question is - what do I do next? how do I configure the next HTTP Client snap in order to retrieve the data with the get request, and what do I choose as an account? should I use the cookies as a token for the account?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ah - its going to depend on the API itself. Likely NO account is required, since you've got a token you're going to pass in a header.  I did this recently in an example with monday.com that required only a header being passed. For this, I used the "Secured Headers" type HTTP account, no schema (unless yours requires a specific schema), and just put the needed headers under "Additional auth headers". 

HTTP Client Config:

djsiegel_0-1704242498980.png

Secured Headers Account Type configuration:

djsiegel_1-1704242578295.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

djsiegel
Former Employee

Hi Terrible:

This is a pretty common pattern, and I find it easiest just to treat the data from your post like any other data - add a Mapper snap right after your post, and extract the values you need, then use them in the next HTTP Client. I'm attaching a sample pipeline that just uses a free API site URL for testing. In the first HTTP Client, I POST the information you gave, in the Mapper snap that follows, I extract my needed data, and in the other HTTP Client I use those data elements from the Mapper in headers using SnapLogic's ability to evaluate a variable. Hope this helps.

Example Pipeline: 

djsiegel_0-1704222037488.png

Mapper pulls out the data we need:

djsiegel_1-1704222094253.png

Then use those data elements anywhere you need them, whether it's in the URL, in the Query Params, or as Header params, or even in a document posted back:

djsiegel_2-1704222176467.png

Thanks @djsiegel for the quick reply.

What I'm failing to understand is what value do I use for Account in the 2nd HTTP Client snap? and what type of an API account should it be, since the system owner forbids me to use basic auth?

Ah - its going to depend on the API itself. Likely NO account is required, since you've got a token you're going to pass in a header.  I did this recently in an example with monday.com that required only a header being passed. For this, I used the "Secured Headers" type HTTP account, no schema (unless yours requires a specific schema), and just put the needed headers under "Additional auth headers". 

HTTP Client Config:

djsiegel_0-1704242498980.png

Secured Headers Account Type configuration:

djsiegel_1-1704242578295.png

You were right, as no account is needed. I played with it a bit and was able to extract the portion in the cookies that was necessary for the auth. Thanks a bunch!