cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maximum size of a JSON document

PSAmmirata
Employee
Employee

Is there a limit on the size of a JSON document that SnapLogic supports?

7 REPLIES 7

tstack
Former Employee

Are you asking about the document in memory or when itโ€™s read-from or written-to disk?

In memory, the document is made up of Java objects and I donโ€™t think we add any additional limits to what is available in native Java and how much memory the node has. One limit that comes to mind is the size of a byte array/string must be less than 2GB.

I donโ€™t think there are any limits when serializing/deserializing.

Why are you asking?

stephenknilans
Contributor

One thing that I COULD add is that there IS a limit somewhere on preview mode. It could be on the read, or internal, but it is there, at least in the snaplexes I have used on the cloud. I guess they figure there is no reason to have a test larger than that. So you have to make the test data sets relatively small. If you actually run it as a background task, or scheduled, there is not any small limit. I have run what I would consider large data sets, with some large JSON records. So if you are asking because it isnโ€™t running in preview mode, there is your answer. BTW the problem I described can also give WEIRD errors that may cause you to search for a red herring. In such a case, try running it outside of preview mode. If it runs, it was probably because the dataset was too big for preview mode.

winosky
New Contributor III

I have the same question, specific snaps seem to be bottlenecks and causing plex to go down.

koryknick
Employee
Employee

@winosky - I did the following write-up a while back on memory intensive snaps:

Memory Intensive Snaps

Though not exhaustive, the following list of snaps should be used with some consideration and understanding of impact on memory. Any snap that performs aggregation of the streaming documents could severely impact your snaplex node memory and may cause node failure if the JVM Heap Size is exceeded.

• Aggregate (if not using sorted input)
  • Sort (if large โ€œMaximum Memory %โ€ is used)
  • In-Memory Lookup
  • Join (if not using sorted input)
  • Gate
  • Group By Fields
  • Group By N
  • Parquet Formatter

Snaps such as Gate and the Group By snaps, which move individual documents into arrays of documents, can easily consume Gigabytes of memory very quickly. Consider an average document size of 1KB processing 5 million records. If a Gate snap is used, it will place all 5 million records into a single array, consuming 1KB * 5 million = 5GB.

The Group By snaps, while they do not consume any more memory than a single group of documents, can still use large amounts of memory. Consider the following common pipeline pattern, typically used to split processing to handle different groups of data, or as an attempt to โ€œbatchโ€ processing into smaller datasets:
Letโ€™s take the same example dataset we had before: 5 million records of 1KB documents, and weโ€™ll assume we have 50 groups that are evenly distributed across the 5 million records of 100,000 records each. Remember that the Sort snap has a โ€œMaximum Memory%โ€ setting that ensures that it will cache data to disk to avoid using too much memory during the sort process. So we are really only concerned with the Group By Fields snap in this pipeline, which uses the sorted input and outputs each group as soon as the key values change, meaning the most memory the Group By snap uses will be 1KB * 100,000 records which is 100MB. That is still well below any concerning memory consumption for a snap. However, SnapLogic buffers 1024 documents between snaps, so in this case it will buffer all 50 groups that are 100MB in size which is still the full 5GB. If the number of input documents is increased to 50 million records, the memory consumed by this pipeline could be 50GB, assuming that the child pipeline called in Pipeline Execute takes longer to process the documents than it does for the Group By to produce them.