cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passing parameters/session variables between nested pipelines/snaps

mikeandrews
New Contributor III

Early warning - I’m a newbie to the platform…

I want to wrap up various bits of logic/lookups/data retrieval in reusable pipelines that mask the underlying complexity (eg finding and reading a particular data source without knowing the storage protocol, access keys etc), but cant get to grips with passing metadata in and out between pipelines and snaps. Should I be passing a [control] document stream in (with 1 doc, eg a json containing key/value metadata pairs) so that i can pass onwards to the next step (and another doc stream with some actual data documents) rather than passing parameters (which I cant see a way of updating/passing out again)?

If it should be via parameters I’d need to use the Script snap to read/write these, but cant find any examples/refs for reading pipeline parameters or writing/updating parent parameters? Just input/output/error/log objects available via Script snap?

If its via a control/metadata doc is there a way to define the document schema so i can use mapper/filter etc or will I just need to handwrite some python/javascript to read/parse/do-work/create-updated-metadata-doc/self.output.write(newmetadata) ?

Thanks,
Mike

15 REPLIES 15

mikeandrews
New Contributor III

I can successfully pass in/out/thru parameters using the Execute Pipeline snap - I couldnt get the Child Pipeline approach to work ($content, _param, $var, $_param never came out the other end) so will just Execute Pipeline with flow control items/choices - I’m feeling pretty confident now so thanks 🙂 And will be using the suggested python syntax when in Script snaps.
Mike

Sorry to come back on this thread but…

I can’t update/set a pipeline parameter via Mapper - when I type “_mypipelineparam” as the Target Path in a Mapper, it gets corrected to “$_mypipelineparam”. I finally worked out the param wasnt being set by dumping it out via a Mapper to copy param to $content then write to File Writer.

When I use a variable eg “$myvariable” in the Mapper, the value is set fine. Confirmed with the same dump to file flow.

But I am needing to use this dynamically calculated value (variable or parameter) as the URI/location for a File Reader snap which does accept a parameter (which I cannot set in the Mapper) but doesnt accept a variable (which I can set).

Is there a way to pass a dynamic value to File Reader? This is quite frustrating and seems inconsistent you can use $xx for some Snaps and not others, and that you can’t set _parameters in the Mapper. Again apologies for any newbie mistakes…

nisars
New Contributor III

Thank you for your information on the syntax of pipeline parameters in the script! Couldn’t find this in the documentation.

dmiller
Admin Admin
Admin

I’ll have development look at the Snaps vs Scripts table in the developer docs.

Diane Miller
Community Manager

Bhavin
Former Employee

_Param’s cannot be set using a mapper or any other means except pipeline param’s, think of it as a global param which you set it at pipeline level, you can use it across pipelines but can be set at a global/pipeline level. Now when it comes to mapper or any other snap that lets you set variables via $varName notation, this are like local vars which can have values set via mapper and are available to the immediate following snap.

when I type “_mypipelineparam” as the Target Path in a Mapper, it gets corrected to “$_mypipelineparam

and this is the expected behavior, now lets say you are getting some value from an external call, ex: you invoke a triggered task and when you do that you pass on a “fileName” param to this task which is then used in the pipeline as a fileName + timeStamp + .extn in your file writer snap. In that case you can use something like this in your File Writer snap settings

‘/some/project/path’ + _fileName + $timeStamp + ‘.json’

where timeStamp is set via a mapper like this

imagemapper

you could have also created a $fileToWriteTo variable in a mapper which will have this expression

‘/some/project/path’ + __fileName + ‘_’ + Date.now().toLocaleDateTimeString() + ‘.json’

Hope it makes sense!