cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

XML Generator, Entity referenced, but not declared

alex_panganiban
Contributor

Iโ€™m having trouble using the XML Generator with data that contains special symbols and characters. All the usual suspects (<, >, &, ", ', ) have been taken care of by using the HTML notations <, >, &amp, etc., but Iโ€™m having trouble with others that I feel should work. For instance, the symbol for the registered sign, ยฎ, should be notated as ยฎ, however, the XML generator gives me an error stating that โ€œthe entity, reg, is referenced but not delcared.โ€ How do I go about declaring these. I have quite a number of symbols and accented/uumlatโ€™ed letters that I need to use. Whether I use the rendered symbol or the HTML notation, the XML Generator fails.

How can I successfully include these symbols in my XML messages so that the XML Generator doesnโ€™t see them as errors? See pics below for examples of my issue.

25 REPLIES 25

mbowen
Employee
Employee
Replacing &reg; with the decimal equivalent may work (ie, &#174;). There is
also an "Escape Special Characters" checkbox which will escape many special
characters.

For example, < -> &lt; 

Though representation may not be correct if already escaped, for example, &lt; -> &amp;lt;

I tried playing with the โ€œescape special charactersโ€ option, but it just dropped my special charcter data instead of leaving the escaped notations as they were.

Hmmmโ€ฆ Frustrating indeed. Let me conduct an experiment too.

Iโ€™m wondering if thereโ€™s a way to make the XML Generator and the XML Formatter ignore escaped codes and leave them as they are instead of rendering them. It would be nice if &reg/&174 behaved the same way as &lt and &gt

Thanks for helping me look at this!