cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extra characters inserted in DB when using Bulk Loader

pleblond
New Contributor

We have a pipeline with a SQL bulk upload snap in it.
Here is our input:

ID: 1
JSON : {"address: 1234 no whereโ€}

We insert several hundred of these into a SQL DB into a table with
ID,JSON

Create SQL:
CREATE TABLE [dbo].[test_json_inc](
[id] [bigint] NOT NULL,
[json] nvarchar NULL
)
GO

When we do a SQL insert the following is added ot the json field
JSON : {"address: 1234 no whereโ€}

If we switch to using the bulk uploader we get
JSON : {"address: 1234 no whereโ€} [|!,!|]1[|!,!|]{"address: 1234 no whereโ€}

As you can see the json is duplicate with the pipes and exclamations in between. Is this a known issue and is their a workaround?

3 REPLIES 3

mbowen
Employee
Employee

Hi Paul:
This may be a bug in our Bulk Load snap. Let me confirm the behavior and see if can provide a workaround if thatโ€™s the case. Expect another response from me.

Ok, this is not obviously broken for me. I need a bit more information from you. The Bulk Load snap uses the bcp utility to load data into SQL Server.

The data fed into the Bulk Load snap is written to a temp file using custom delimiters. Specifically these:

FIELD delimiter: [|!,!|]
ROW delimiter: [|!/n!|]

We invoke bcp specifying the temp data file plus the custom delimiters. The data file would of course explain what weโ€™re seeing in the db, though this is a bit tricky to inspect because it is deleted after the load snap finishes.

I see a space after the first json block before another field delimiter, which should be a record delimiter, and then repeat of data. Hmmmโ€ฆ

What version of SQL Server are using? The version of BCP would be helpful too (bcp -v). Are you running a Windows or Linux plex? Sample input would be helpful โ€“ maybe you can download the data that is fed into the Bulk Load snap.

We can actually replay the data and invoke BCP from the command line. Itโ€™s good you checked that could load data using SQL Insert โ€“ a nice cross check. Something with the shape of the data going into bulk it seems.

Sadly we switched to using a straight SQL insert so I donโ€™t have any more examples. Also due to privacy I am limited to what I can send you.

We are on SQL version: 2019,

We are using BCP version: - That is on the snaplogic side so we arenโ€™t sure.

And it is a windows machine. Windows 2019 Data Center

I wish I could offer more help but its definitely bulk uploader or the bulk uploader snap. During validation the data looks fine and swapping out the control for a sql insert works fine.

Thanks

image001.png