cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to see the outputs and logs of the a python script?

irsl
New Contributor II

I have a pipeline which included a python script. Although the pipeline works properly but I cannot see the output of my script both in the data preview and also in the logs. E.g. when I download the logs I dont see this output:
self.log.info(" This is a python log")

Also the data preview somehow does not work for this specific pipeline although there is no special character in the project name which apparently is a known bug.
self.output.write("This is a python output")

Any idea on this would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

j_angelevski
Contributor III

Hi @irsl ,

What do you mean by the data preview does not work ? Is there no preview available or something else ? Can you elaborate on that ? Or maybe you forgot to set the snap mode to โ€œValidate & Executeโ€ ?

irsl
New Contributor II

Hi @j.angelevski,
thank you for the response. I have checked and all snaps are in โ€œValidate & Executeโ€ mode. But still no preview is available. After running the script 3 docs are produced as shown in the screenshot below but I cannot see them in the preview:

The python script runs a cli command to extract a compressed file in tar format. I want to customise the script but I dont see any output or any logs from the script.

j_angelevski
Contributor III

To me, this looks like you are executing the pipeline. When you execute the pipeline you canโ€™t preview the data, you need to validate to be able to preview the output data.

You can see the difference between executed and validated pipeline. The first image is executed pipeline and is colored in a dark green color. The second image is when you validate and is colored with a light green color and you can see the preview icon for each snap.

RogerSramkoski
Employee
Employee

Hello @irsl! @j.angelevski is correct, your pipeline has been executed instead of validated, which means you will not see the preview output.

I have a detailed response here for anyone new to SnapLogic or new to using the Script Snap with Python, so if youโ€™re familiar with that please skip to the TLDR; section where I have a sample pipeline and video on how the pipeline works to untar files. In the designer youโ€™re looking for the V inside the gear, which is the middle of these three icons from the toolbar (others shown for reference:)

Once a pipeline has successfully validated that icon will become a darker icon with a check mark in it like this:

If you take the default Python Script template and replace the default self.output.write(inDoc, outDoc) with the line self.output.write("This is a python output"), the output would look like this, printed one time for each input document and without any JSON keys for reference:

I have ten records randomly generated from Mockaroo in my JSON Generator. To manipulate the JSON output from the Python Script snap I actually want to work with the โ€˜outputโ€™ dictionary, the one that looks like the snippet below. Since that snippet is in the while self.input.hasNext() block it is executed once for each incoming document. In other words, all it does it pass the incoming document, inDoc, through to the output under the $original key.

outDoc = {
   'original' : inDoc
}

Now letโ€™s say I want to output my original document AND a custom message. Here is the snippet that shows how we can do that.

outDoc = {
   'original' : inDoc
}
outDoc['custom_message'] = {
   "This is Python output!"
}
self.output.write(inDoc, outDoc)

Since the outDoc dictionary is created for capturing $original by default, I need make sure the content I want to add is appended to it instead of overwriting it. For example, if the second statement was outDoc = {โ€˜custom_mesageโ€™ : โ€œThis is python output!โ€} I would overwrite it. Here is a screenshot of the output now:

Accessing JSON keys within a record works in a similar fashion using inDoc. Looking at the screenshot you can see my incoming document has a โ€œfirst_nameโ€ key so if I wanted to run some Python on just that field, I could reference it like inDoc['first_name'].

Now letโ€™s talk about self.log.info(" This is a python log") which by default in the Script Snap would be self.log.info("Executing Transform script"). These messages will be written to the logs on the Snaplex node rather than in any place you can see in the Designer. If the pipeline was executed rather than validated so you can find it in the Dashboard, the little table icon in the Status column allows you to fetch the logs if they have not rolled on the node:

The files download as JSON and here is the line for the default self.log.info("Executing Transform script"):

{
    "Process": "Script[5592aed995315c0d2e1aaeeb_4a397c14-d757-419a-84cf-5e61c056f455 -- 55bbca61-0a87-4784-b08a-92224f953f33]",
    "TimeStamp": "8/9/2021 6:50 PM",
    "RuntimeID": "5592aed995315c0d2e1aaeeb_4a397c14-d757-419a-84cf-5e61c056f455",
    "File": "PyReflectedFunction.java:190",
    "Message": "Executing Transform script",
    "SnapLabel": "Script",
    "Exception": ""
}

If you had direct access to the logs on the Snaplex node it only looks slightly different:

{
    "ts": "2021-08-09T22:53:57.547Z",
    "lvl": "INFO",
    "fi": "PyReflectedFunction.java:190",
    "msg": "Executing Transform script",
    "snlb": "Script",
    "snrd": "6e759256-449e-4a9a-808d-4e8702629356",
    "plrd": "5592aed995315c0d2e1aaeeb_9b2d9e11-e85d-4c76-a05a-2434fc986d6e",
    "prc": "Script[5592aed995315c0d2e1aaeeb_9b2d9e11-e85d-4c76-a05a-2434fc986d6e -- 6e759256-449e-4a9a-808d-4e8702629356]",
    "xid": "94ea29d4-9722-4f42-9774-bda0cff3ce30"
}

TLDR;
I am attaching a pipeline and link to a video that shows how the pipeline works in case you or anyone else need help with that.
Untar Pipeline: UntarFile_2021_08_09.slp (13.2 KB)
Python Script Example Pipeline: Community_PythonScriptOutput_2021_08_09.slp (14.0 KB)