cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to pass a variable along the pipeline?

graham-onpoint
New Contributor II

I have a pipeline that looks like this:

The Snaps are:

1. List all files in a given Box directory
  2. Filter the files according to a mask
  3. Read the matching Excel file into the pipeline
  4. Convert the first Worksheet to CSV
  5. Write a CSV file to an archive folder in Box
  6. Delete the original Excel file

Everything is working up to step 5, where I need to access the output variables of step 2 again, the FileName is needed to create the matching file name in the archive folder (except this time with a .csv extension) and then the FileId is needed in step 6 in order to delete the Excel file.

The business reason behind doing this is that the file coming in to the Box folder will have a date prefix at the front of it. There is no set frequency for this file, it is practically arriving at random intervals. Therefore, I have no way to hard code the actual file name into the Pipeline and must dynamically check for a new file every day.

How can I store the output fields from step 2 somewhere in memory so that the final two Snaps in the pipeline can access them?

8 REPLIES 8

Hmm, Iโ€™m not quite sure what you mean here. The PipeExec snap basically obsoletes the ForEach snap.

Thatโ€™s not going to be true in the general case. So, we canโ€™t add something so error prone and hope that people only use it in the right situations.

I believe that this would be very helpful if added to the โ€œParameters and Fieldsโ€ documentation.

Pavol
New Contributor II

Thanks @tstack for the suggestion. To be honest I find this quite a common requirement that is very complicated to implement. Parent/Child pipelines are much harder to debug, and it is strangely inconsistent. The Box Read snap outputs the โ€œcontent locationโ€ i.e. the filename, but the CSV/Excel Parser snaps drops everything passed to it, except the file contents. A viable solution could be an option for the CSV/Excel Parser to include the originating filename in its output, much like Alteryx does

graham-onpoint
New Contributor II

This is another use case that is effectively asking for this feature. The parallel issue comes up again, of course, but that doesnโ€™t negate the functional requirement.