cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to remove blank rows from an input flat file?

darshthakkar
Valued Contributor

Hi Team,

How can I remove all the blank rows from an input flat file? I cannot use a condition restricted on a single column as the other records are needed. All I want to do is filter out ALL ROWS that doesnโ€™t have any data (like Row 4, 5, 7, 8 shown in the screenshot below)

Desired Output:

Thus, final output should be:

Thanking in advance.

Regards,
DT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ddellsperger
Employee
Employee

This is maybe a little bit difficult, but you can put the following filter after your parser
The expression is: $.entries().filter(v => v[1] != "").length > 0 which will find any instance where all of the values for the given input document are all empty and filter them out.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Hi @darshthakkar,

I think also it will do the trick

$.entries() != []

Thanks,
Pero M.

Thank you @pmancevski for your suggestion and assistance on this one. I tested with your solution and unfortunately it didnโ€™t work.

Thank you @ddellsperger, I will definitely give this a try.
Before posting this to community, I tried with $.filter((v,k)=> v != null) but didnโ€™t get any success.

Will keep you posted with my findings. Thanks again.

Regards,
Darsh

@ddellsperger: Voila, it worked! Thank you for your assistance. I will now remove my conventional filter which has the condition of ! = null on each column in the file (it was never a good design but my only resort until we could find a best solution).

Thanks again.

BR,
Darsh

@ddellsperger: Is it a safe assumption that the below solution provided by you is similar to the conventional filter I used (which was putting a NOT NULL condition on each column?) Q-1

I believe my conventional filter would be a lot of overhead on the system + this time, I only had to deal with 10 columns (so 20 conditions, one as !=null and another as !=โ€œโ€) however if I had to work on 350+ columns (which is my ideal day scenario), conventional filter would have busted.

I want to take this opportunity to learn from an expert like you that what would be the overhead (time & space complexity) while using $.entries().filter(v => v[1] != โ€œโ€).length > 0? Q-2

Is the above a recommended approach and the ONLY approach to filter out blank rows from a flat file? Q-3

Looking forward to hearing from you.

BR,
Darsh