cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pad field with zero

heidi_andrew
Contributor

How can i take a sql result field where I am counting the number of people in the file for a trailer and left pad with zeroes? I have tried a bunch of the expressions shown in several of the answers here but nothing is working. I get

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It is because the COUNT is an integer, try with this:

"0000000000".slice($COUNT.toString().length) + $COUNT

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

That worked perfectly! You rock!

koryknick
Employee
Employee

@heidi.andrew - one other option - a while back, I created a set of library expression files, one of which contains LPAD and RPAD functions. Basically, this simplifies this type of expression and prevents multiple solutions to the problem from different developers.

I hope this helps!

heidi_andrew
Contributor

i have been in that one a lot but nothing works for me. I tried several iterations of this:
lib.string.lpad(โ€˜123โ€™, 5, โ€˜0โ€™) yields โ€œ00123โ€

i brought it into a mapper field. Is that the right snap? I changed the " from the curved version and still get the error like this:

koryknick
Employee
Employee

Can you share your pipeline? If you have the library referenced in your pipeline then the statement you show should work.

ddellsperger
Employee
Employee

If you have a guaranteed numeric value (integer) you can simply use "%010d".sprintf($COUNT) to get a string out, you can do similar with float values, but you have to be a bit more tricky about it. I believe it follows the Java util formatter specification.