Box Read should accept an input parameter for a single FileId

It would seem to me that a fairly regular usage of the Box Snaps would be to use the Directory Browser to get a listing of the files in a folder, determine a single FileId, then read that file into a Snap. Even though we might have the correct FileId from the last successful execution, we have no way of knowing what might have been done to that file in between (deleted and re-uploaded, renamed to .bak and another file renamed, etc.)

However, the Box Read can’t accept an input parameter from a previous Snap. It would be great if we could add a single FileId as an input into Box Read to make this simple scenario work without a Pipeline Execute.

I fully understand that if multiple files are passed in then a Pipeline Execute Snap is the only way to accomplish this. However, for simple single-file scenarios I’m now sitting with a sub-pipeline that contains a single Snap where all it does is read the file and return the binary stream - this adds complexity that I don’t believe is needed.

For what it’s worth, most of our Pipelines are processing only one file on each execution. This is very common in Financial Planning applications.

I don’t think this is true, you can add an input view to the BoxRead snap and reference the $FileId property in the documents generated by the BoxDirectoryBrowser.

Strange, last night it was giving me an error saying that it couldn’t read the parameter, and the list of available functions didn’t include anything either.

I can’t replicate this now.