cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Language User Interface (LUI) Patterns in AI

dmiller
Admin Admin
Admin

Have you read @jackie's blog "Language User Interface (LUI) Patterns in AI"? 

What benefits do you see to natural language interactions in AI? What do you think are the biggest obstacles?

Diane Miller
Community Manager
  • AI
3 REPLIES 3

Dominic
Employee
Employee

The problem of language interfaces is similar to the problem of command-line interfaces: when the user is presented with a prompt, they don't necessarily know what commands they can give. This is why I am so happy to read Jackie's thoughts — and see the results of her work! — on how to guide users to the functionality they need.

If we get it right, though, we could see a real step change in user experience. Graphical user interfaces are limited to what can be displayed on screen, and the hierarchical structure can frustrate power users who know what they want do. A conversational interface holds out the promise of letting power users go straight to the functionality they need, while also guiding and prompting inexperienced users to discover the capabilities of the system.

The challenge has always been balancing the ease of use for beginners with the efficiency that power users seek.    The exciting part is envisioning how we can utilize advanced AI and UI patterns to bridge this gap, making interactions more intuitive and user-friendly for everyone.  

Jeremiah
Employee
Employee

The emergence of UX patterns for Language User Interfaces is exciting and happening so quickly! I really like how Jackie has broken down the different emergent patterns and the contexts.

Beyond the user interaction pattern challenge, I think that the most interesting and challenging dimensions of a natural language interface is that for the first time, builders of products and services have direct information of what the user wants to do with the system.

Prior to natural language interfaces, we have had to design user experiences using different methods like Design Thinking as a means to identify the key unmet needs of the user, and opportunities for meeting those needs.

Having the user's goals articulated in the words of the user is incredibly powerful, and simultaneously overwhelming. Overwhelming because while we have amazing experienced Design professionals like @jackie and @SusanK51813 to help guide us, as product teams more broadly we do not experience continuously gathering, synthesizing, and taking action on the inputs we receive.

I'd love to hear how other members of the community are thinking about Language Interfaces.