cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parent/Child Parameters

cew657
New Contributor

Iโ€™m new to Snaplogic. I am working on a solution to pull files from a network share and load to a Snowflake table. I have a Parent set up to pull the file names from the network share using the directory browser snap which is going to the Pipeline Execute which then runs the Child pipeline. I am including the full path and filename in my Parameter.

My issue is how to pass the parameters from the Parent to the Child. I have downloaded several examples of this from the boards and I still canโ€™t get it to work.

I can see the file names in the preview of the Pipeline Execute snap of the Parent pipeline. When I switch to the Child pipeline, the parameter is whatever is defined in the Pipeline Properties box when I do a preview.

How do I pass the Parent parameters to the Child Parameters? The file writer is using smb://network drive location/shared/xxxxx/xxxx/file name which is why the equal sign is not depressed in the File Reader of the child snap as for some reason smb does not work with the equal sign depressed.

Thanks for any assistance.

Parent:
Parent

Parent Pipeline Execute:
Pipeline_Execute

Parent Pipeline Properties
Pipeline_Properties

Child:
Child

Child Pipeline Properties:
Child_Pipeline_Properties

Mapper Snap from Child:
Child_Mapper

Mapper Snap Child Preview
Child_Mapper_Preview

6 REPLIES 6

alex_panganiban
Contributor

When you validate your child pipeline, itโ€™s acting as a standalone pipeline. You can mimic the parent pipeline passing values into your child pipeline by updating the Filename parameter value in your child pipelineโ€™s configuration with a hard coded value. That hard code will only be used for validation purposes. When you actually run your parent pipeline, the values passed into your child pipeline will override anything that is hard coded in your child pipeline parms.

cew657
New Contributor

Thank you again everybody for the assistance. I guess I overlooked hardcoding a value in the Child parameter. Once I added a hard coded value to the Child Parameter, I was able to validate with no issues.

It seems like everything is working now as I expect them to.