cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Accounts and Snaps

andrew_holbrook
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have an account tied to a snap packโ€ฆbasically every snap calls the Account.connect() function to get its access token, and if the token isnโ€™t expired, the Account re-authorizes and get a new one. In fighting threw a bug while implementing threading for a snap pack, it led me to question how accounts work in SnapLogic.

Letโ€™s supposed I have a simple pipeline:

1. A get data snapโ€ฆfollowed by
  2. A post data snap

If I had to auth in the first snap to generate a token, should that second snap be able to use that token as well? Or does each snap have its own instance of an account, which both then require separate auth requests?

2 REPLIES 2

abew
New Contributor II

I think you can use static variables in the runtime to help with this. Obviously a lot depends on threading and if this account is universal to all other processes running in the same runtime, so you probably have to protect yourself a little. I had a similar situation with multiple pipelines running with more than one account and it worked out pretty well.

Abe

bgiles
Former Employee

This is a surprisingly difficult issue and itโ€™s under active research for the best approach.

The short answer is that each snap is an independent process and each account for each snap is also an independent instance. Thatโ€™s not a problem - as you suggest we can use the account information to create a key into a static cache in order to retrieve a previously established connection.

The not-so-short answer is that we recently switched to using a single classloader for all snaps and accounts in a pipeline but then encountered a situation where one pipeline had snaps with accounts that depend upon mutually incompatible driver jars. I know we were discussing reintroducing separate classloaders for accounts but I donโ€™t know the details. E.g., are the classes marked with an @Account annotation loaded via a different classloader, or only the objects set via Guice injection? Let me know if you need to know the details.

In practice? You should be fine using a static cache (e.g., a Guice Cache object, or a WeaklyLinkedMap) as long as your cache is declared to use the most general thing possible. E.g., return a DataSource instead of an OracleDataSource, much less an Oracle12xArticulatingGumboDataSource.

As an aside - unless you have a compelling reason to do otherwise your cache should contain factories instead of specific instances. JDBC DataSources instead of JDBC Connections, JMS Connections instead of JMS Sessions. Itโ€™s not any more difficult to implement and it guarantees each snap gets a fresh, thread-safe copy.