cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Convert comma separated values into different rows

skodali
New Contributor III

Iโ€™m trying to convert the comma separated values in a single row to a different number of rows.

Ques

Can anyone suggest me how should I approach?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tstack
Former Employee

I wanted to provide a solution that used the expression language in case others are interested.

Strings have a split() method that will split the string and return an array. From there, you can use the map() method to create key/value pairs, like so:

$Roles.split(',').map((elem, index) => ["Role" + (index + 1), elem])

(The argument to map() is a callback function that will be called with each element in the array and its index. The function then creates an array with the first element being the property name โ€œRoleNโ€ and the second being the element itself.)

Once you have key/value pairs, you can feed it into the extend() method on objects to produce an object with the given pairs:

$.extend($Roles.split(',').map((elem, index) => ["Role" + (index + 1), elem]))

Hereโ€™s an example pipeline:

SplitRoles_2019_01_24.slp (6.7 KB)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hello tstack,

I am trying to something similar, however, it is not working for me. I have a Json field that is comma-delimited named โ€œinstructorsโ€. Sometimes this field contains one instructor id number, and sometimes it contains two. I would like these to go into separate table columns of Instructor1 and Instructor2.

I my instructor mapper I did:

and my second mapper I did:
2ndmapper

My pipeline validates, however, there is no output from my second mapper.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thanks,
sawierman

Did you enable Passthrough on the second mapper?

Hi tstack,

When I enabled Pass through, I was able to see all the fields, including the newly-created Instructor1 and Instructor2 fields!
J

369854d4f34c29026afd038cd8db454137154fa8.jpeg

Now I am struggling with my next step, which is to include other fields from the JSON and insert them into an Oracle table. To start, I wanted to just insert
the ID field and 2 instructor fields to keep things simple.

I thought that if I mapped only the fields I wanted, that it would insert those into the Oracle table, however, I get an error on a field Iโ€™m not trying to insert.

63b28feb5b9965ff68f2f6ab0103a9961c13014a.jpeg

f9d8ff68cb69911486d62b6bfd1208e6a9a91899.jpeg

Thinking the Pass Through tries to insert all fields even if theyโ€™re not mapped, I un-checked Pass-Through, however, now I am only getting the ID field, but not
the Instructor fields:

2545f7fe0342e52a636bd46f43e3c0c1af60fb91.jpeg

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sandy