cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Excel Formatter - need date datatype with this format MM/DD/YYYY

Mark
New Contributor II

Im using Excel Formatter. I am selecting from Oracle. I need the column in excel to be date datatype, but have this format MM/DD/YYYY with no time on the end.

I can get the date into that format if I do a to_char(mydate, โ€˜MM/DD/YYYYโ€™) in the select, but the datatype is always General no matter if I click the โ€œTranslate Date and Time Typesโ€. If I let it be a date in the select as it is naturally from the table datatype or I do a to_date(to_char(mydate, โ€˜MM/DD/YYYYโ€™), โ€˜MM/DD/YYYYโ€™), no matter what the checkbox is set to its always General and it puts the time on the end? I cant win.

When I export from Oracle SQL developer to excel, that tool gives date datatype with this format MM/DD/YYYY no problem.

3 REPLIES 3

SpiroTaleski
Valued Contributor

@Mark

Try to select the date as string from Oracle, and then parse it in SnapLogic as date before Excel Formatter. In Excel Formatter Snap check the โ€œTranslate date and time typesโ€.

I am also attaching sample pipeline:

Comm_2022_03_09.slp (7.5 KB)

Hope this will helps.

BR,
Spiro Taleski

Mark
New Contributor II

This doesnt work. The Excel Formatter snap does not allow you to change the datatype of a column no matter what datatype you send it. The Excel formatter always defaults to General. I used this Oracle PL/SQL package to generate a Excel document and this package kind of has the same issue where it defaults to โ€œCustomโ€ but for our purposes the API likes Custom and Date datatypes equally when a date is concerned, but doesnt like General. Dont know why. Recommend, somehow, allowing the Excel Formatter snap to change column datatypes. I dont need a response to this unless you have a fix where I dont have to use PL/SQL.

bojanvelevski
Valued Contributor

I must disagree. Look at the following sample: