cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SnapLogic Errors: Return custom payload and fail pipeline

omair
Contributor

Is it possible within SnapLogic to configure a pipeline to fail via a Snap but also to return a custom output back to the user (configured via a Mapper snap, e.g.)

I have reviewed the video here: Framework: Error Handling & Retry Patterns and it appears that a SnapLogic pipeline can either:

• fail with limited control on the error message (e.g. using the Exit snap which allows for a text message) OR
  • specify a detailed error message (e.g. via an error pipeline or directly)โ€ฆ in this case the pipeline is marked completed.
6 REPLIES 6

del
Contributor III

@omair, This may not be your exact use case, but here is a high-level view of how I do something similar to this:

• On an error view, add the custom message mapper and notification snap just prior to the exit snap.
  • Then join the non-error output view to the exit output view with a union+sort to ensure processing doesnโ€™t continue before the exit has time to process (you can eliminate this piece if you donโ€™t care if valid records are processed before an error exit is triggered).
  • If the exit isnโ€™t triggered, then the pipeline will continue.

(Edit) - The above works with email notifications - which is what I first read into your question - possibly incorrectly. However, if youโ€™re looking for API type output to the user, this example will not work.

omair
Contributor

Thanks @del โ€ฆ but, yeahโ€ฆ

I was looking for API-type output to the userโ€ฆ

hey omair,

Have you tried the Exit snap? It allows you to set an error message that can be returned to the user.

If you call that via a triggered task, then youโ€™ll get this kind of response.

[
      {
      "failure" : "Pipeline execution failed while waiting for output",
      "reason" : "Snap errors: {ruuid=52e99318640a9a03d8681d0d_9b3dd03a-dde2-43e8-a0ba-fd58239c2a5d, reason=Number of input documents received is more than 0, label=Exit, resolution=Try passing less than or equal to 0 input documents, failure=Beep Boop! Failure!}",
      "resolution" : "Fix the reported errors"
    }
]

Youโ€™d still have to extract it from the reason String, so not the most user friendly way.

You could also do something like this:

Where the mapper returns the output before the exit snap is invoked using a sleep in a Script snap. This will return a response like

[
    {
        "error": "Beep Boop! Failure!"
    }
]

Which is easier to deal with.

This isnโ€™t the most elegant approach since there is a race condition between when the mapperโ€™s output is written out and when the exit snap processes the document from its input stream.

Hi Tlikarish,
I would like to make the pipe line status as failed instead of completed.
My rest API sends the status as ok where few record inserted and few failed. I am counting if failed records >0 , then I am logging those record in log then exiting with exit snap. But the pipeline status is not failing. It shows completed. I want the pipe line status should show as failed.
Regards
Gyanendra